always do

One day at a time....

Monday, July 9, 2012

The Tales of a Public Transportation wanderer.

I started this blog almost a year ago, my number one annoyance then was living in Spanish Fork,UT and fortunately that has changed. I now live in a populated area where people like to smoke non-filtered cigarettes and discuss the latest political controversies while sipping on their overly priced espressos. Since I smoke menthol cigarettes and drink overly priced Chai Lattes at Starbucks on a regular basis I am in heaven, though I will run in the opposite direction if politics are brought up. As a fore mentioned, I moved to South Jordan and have to drive at least 10 minutes to find the smell of poop instead of stepping outside and smelling it. The point of all that is I am too poor to buy gas to go and visit my friends in Orem or Payson, and I am lazy, I will not walk somewhere unless it is the only option I have. I used to live in Orem which is about 20 miles away from Payson, where most my friends reside and it was really annoying when I wanted to get down there to see my, then, boyfriend and all of my other friends and walking 20 miles was more than obviously out of the question. So I would take the bus.

Public transportation is something of which I strongly support since it helps reduce pollution and assists poor struggling students get to and from school, or other places of the sort, but, it also helps anyone with $2.50 travel anywhere in Utah and Salt Lake county for 3 hours. Weirdos ride the bus, and that is a stereotype that is almost universal. Utah has its own special breed of loveable freaks, but freaks nonetheless, also a lot of meth addicts. On my way to Payson one time an overly friendly middle-aged man mentioned how amazing it was that I could get my eyes to match the coat I was wearing. That seems like a normal compliment but it wasn't, he legitimately thought that I could change my irises to match the color of my coat, not like my make up or anything. I, of course, said thank you very much for that nice words and carried on playing Fruit Ninja. He, on the other hand, was not ready to stop telling me about my chameleon eye color. This continued for about 3 minutes with me staring and chuckling nervously, but he eventually got off the bus. The driver apologized for how awkward that was, I giggled and accepted the apology and proceeded to my bus stop. This was the least weird of my experiences.

On another journey to payson I was sitting behind a boy not much older than me and I made a comment on his gaming laptop. He was obviously shy and sat in his seat. While we are driving through BYU campus I hear a cell phone take a picture. I looked up in the direction of the click, saw nothing, and then carried on staring out the window. I heard the noise again, so I looked up again. The awkward boy was turned towards me taking a pictures of me through the space between the seat and the window. Weirded out slightly I ignored the social skill deficiency he had and started to write down some blog material. I heard it again, this time the camera phone was above the head of the seat taking yet another picture of me. Officially creeped out I scoffed and said, in a very dry tone,"Really?" After that, he started taking pictures of every cemetery we passed. This was the first 15 minutes of the hour and a half it takes so get down there, and my stop was second to last, his was the very last. I have never been so incapacitated to speak in my entire existance, and once I got off that bus I sprinted to my friends house. That was the last time I rode the bus for quite some time, because getting pictures taken of you isn't normal bus behavior, surprisingly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment